Aug 29, 2012

stamped tabletop

Recently I finished updating my kitchen and one of the things I was really excited about updating was my breakfast table. We used to eat at this table all the time because it was convenient, but it is too small for a family of 5, so I figured we should just start eating at our dining room table like normal people. And because our kitchen is small, I wanted to make the table a little smaller so that it didn't take up so much room.
 It's the perfect size now. The kids eat there for breakfast and then Parker, Elly and I eat there for lunch.
What I did to make the table: My husband took the old table top off and cut the legs down to fit the new tabletop. We just bought a piece of pine from Home Depot, my husband routed the edges and I stained it. I painted the legs white and sanded them down to distress them a little. I spray painted the chairs.
To make the stamped tabletop, I followed this tutorial. On that tutorial is also how I found the image that I stamped on. I painted a few layers of stain and then applied the stamp. Now... she did a great tutorial, but it did not take only 10 minutes like she said. But I know how that goes, I say things take me only 10 minutes and it takes some people a lot longer than that. Anyway, go to her tutorial for how to make it, just remember these few things and it might help you:
1. I cut my image in to 4 parts so that I could make the image take up more of the table.
2. She uses wax paper and my printer did not like wax paper! So I used freezer paper and just cut it down to the size of a normal piece of paper. I made sure that the shiny size was the side being printed on.
3. I let the ink dry for like 10 seconds before placing it on the table so that it wasn't too wet and smudgy.
4. After it completely dried, like a day or so, I painted two more coats of stain on top of it.
Good luck! It really did take me 10 minutes to do the bottom half of the stamp... once I figured out those few things :)
I love this technique of stamping wood. I definitely will use this for some other projects.

25 comments:

  1. What a cool technique! I love the finished product and the color of the chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS!!! I love the "after" GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the table! Ir looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! and I love the combo of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, i really enjoy your blog- you have such great ideas! I have awarded your blog with the One Lovely Blog and the Very Inspiring Blogger Awards!
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh this is beautiful! How creative! You did an AMAZING job!!!

    XOXO
    Kelly at Smart! School {House}
    http://www.facebook.com/SmartSchoolHouse

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great makeover! I like the green chairs with the white and brown table.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful!! We have a small kitchen and I've been searching for a way to put a smaller table in there. This opens up all kinds of ideas for us! Thank you for sharing. Love it!! Love the chairs too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your table turned out beautiful! I've read about this technique so many times but have yet to try it out. One day, I'm going to get up the nerve to do it. Love the color that you picked for the chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. STUNNING! I love this so much. What an amazing makeover! I am off to pin...

    Stacy @Not JUST A Housewife

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great table and chairs. Like the after much better. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Southern Lovely. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-13.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! The colors are great, and I've never seen this technique before. Stopped by from the Someday Crafts linkup. Hope you'll come visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love what you did with your table and chairs.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love everything about this! So beautiful! Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! We would love for you to share this on our Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday link party...just posted it! Thanks!
    http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/09/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is a charming set, you did a wonderful job. Thank you for sharing on the Thursday hop my friend xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool and creative!!!
    Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice! Perfect little breakfast table! Thanks for sharing at Show & Share, featuring this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Saw this at Live.Laugh.Rowe, super duper cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. All the contents you mentioned in post are too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...